The Keys of the Kingdom
Matthew 16:19 – I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.
This verse has been interpreted a couple different ways:
1) That we should bind the enemy and loose Holy Spirit
2) That we bind ourselves to the things of God, and loose the enemy from his plans
However, upon further study, I believe that BOTH of these are incorrect. Let’s look at one more verse:
1 John 3b– The Son of God appeared for this purpose, to destroy the works of the devil.
Now let’s take a look at the meaning of certain words:
Bind: to forbid, prohibit, declare to be illicit (i.e., forbidden by law)
Loose: undo, dissolve, break up, annul (to declare is if it never happened or was in existence), to deprive of authority, declare unlawful; demolish, destroy, to dissolve something coherent into parts; to overthrow
Destroy: in the Greek this is the exact same word as Loose, and therefore, the same meanings
With this in mind, the two common understandings of Binding & Loosing do not correctly fit the scriptures, so what does it all mean?
Bind and Loose are NOT opposites of one coin, but rather two barrels of one gun, because they are similar in meaning. The repetition of one idea in two different manners, as seen in Matthew 16:19, is a device (spoken and/or written) used to emphasize a point. Basically, this is how they wrote in bold letters, or spoke to embed it mentally. You find a lot of this in Psalms and Proverbs.
So, What’s the Big Deal, right? A couple of things:
1) This understanding better aligns with Scripture, and the methods used by Yeshua – who never bound (tied) or loosed (untied) the enemy. Yeshua DESTROYED the works of the devil.
2) When we are in prayer, especially a warfare type of prayer, the proper meanings of the words give us the correct mindset from which to pray – strong, courageous, already victorious, the devil has no authority whatsoever – and it’s all advancing, never retreating.
3) Operating by this understanding puts us back into God’s original plan – that we rule over all the earth (Genesis 1:26).
A few things to ponder:
Matthew 28:18 NASB
And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.
Ephesians 1:19-23 NASB
(19) and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might
(20) which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places,
(21) far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come.
(22) And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church,
(23) which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.
Ephesians 2:6 NASB
and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,
Luke 10:19 NASB
“Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing will injure you.
James 4:7-10 NASB
(7) Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
(8) Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
(9) Be miserable and mourn and weep; let your laughter be turned into mourning and your joy to gloom.
(10) Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you.
We were meant to rule over all the earth, God, through Yeshua, has made that possible again, and we must be about that work
YESHUA HAS ALREADY BROUGHT US THE VICTORY, BUT WE – WITH HIS AUTHORITY – MUST ENFORCE IT